I started out playing bass when a high school friend said he needed a bass player. Soon after that I was in my first gigging band, Section Eight and being snuck into bars as I was underage. We actually did quite well culminating in a show presented at the El Mocambo by CFNY FM. Kevan and Gary from that band went on to play in a Juno nominated band King Cobb Steelie while I went to Humber College to study jazz performance. I would love to have been part of a band like KCS but Humber played a huge part in making me the musician I am today. I certainly couldn’t do some of the gigs I do without the Humber background.
Shortly after graduating from Humber I started a second career at Young Drivers of Canada. Long story short, I ran a Young Drivers of Canada franchise for 20 years, selling the business in December 2011. I actually did not play bass during the early years as a YD franchise owner but in the mid 2000s I picked up the basses again and since that time every year has gotten better and better. You can find a list of artists and groups that I play with on the Friends page. Check out the links to hear their music. Maybe you’ll buy a CD!
Just the Facts!
- I’m a graduate of the Humber College Jazz Program. That doesn’t mean I’m a jazz snob. I want to play as many different styles of music as I can.
- I can read, have a decent ear, great time and feel.
- A reliable car. Safe driver!
- I’m a nice guy.
- I have a US and Canadian Passport!
- I don’t have a day job so can be anywhere, anytime.
- I play double bass as well as fretted and fretless electric basses.
- I use reliable and great sounding gear; F basses, Aguilar amplifiers, Eventide effects, Shen double bass and a Chadwick Folding Bass
- I’ve played everything from intimate club shows to large festivals and national live radio shows. I’ve played in theatre pit bands, jazz ensembles and with singer songwriters.
- Theatre Shows: Joni Mitchell – River, Cabaret, Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz, Bat Boy, Broadway Review (excerpts from Mamma Mia, Les Mis, Chicago and others), Starmites and The Drowsy Chaperone.
I’ve played bass on the following recordings
Phil Glennie – 2018
Emm Gryner – Only of Earth – 2018
The LYNNeS (Lynne Hanson Lynn Miles) – Heartbreak Song for the Radio – 2018
Rant Maggie Rant – Latitude – 2016
Stringbone – 2016
The Willows – Demo
Renee Card – 2016
Aaron Allen – 2015
Leah Morise – 2015
Rant Maggie Rant – 2013
Marty Kolls – 2013
Beyond Our Shores – Light of East Ensemble – 2009
Road To Freedom – Karen Schuessler Singers – 2009
Sharon Beeler – In a Slow Groove – 2008
Simply Joy – Believe in a Better World – 2008
Leah Morise – 2006