I started playing bass when a high school friend said he needed a bass player. Soon after I was in my first gigging band Section Eight and being snuck into bars since I was underage. We actually did quite well culminating in a show presented at the El Mocambo by CFNY FM. Kevan and Gary from that band went on to play in a Juno nominated band King Cobb Steelie while I went to Humber College to study jazz performance. I would love to have been part of a band like KCS but Humber played a huge part in making me the musician I am today. I certainly couldn’t do some of the gigs I do without the Humber background.
Shortly after graduating from Humber I started a second career at Young Drivers of Canada. Long story short, I ran a Young Drivers franchise for 20 years, selling the business in December 2011. I did not play bass during the early years as a YD franchise owner but in the mid 2000s I picked up the basses again. You can see a list of who I’ve played with on the Friends page.
Just the Facts!
- I’m a graduate of the Humber College Jazz Program. I’m not a jazz snob. I want to play as many different styles of music as I can.
- I can read, have a decent ear, great time and feel.
- I do my homework
- A reliable car. Safe driver!
- I’m a nice guy.
- I have a US and Canadian Passport!
- I don’t have a day job so can be anywhere, anytime.
- I play double bass as well as fretted and fretless electric basses.
- I use reliable and great sounding gear; F basses, Aguilar amplifiers, Eventide effects, Shen double bass and a Chadwick Folding Bass
- I’ve played everything from intimate club shows to large festivals and national live radio shows. I’ve played in theatre pit bands, jazz ensembles and with singer songwriters.
- Theatre Shows: Joni Mitchell – River, Cabaret, Legally Blonde, Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz, Bat Boy, Broadway Review (excerpts from Mamma Mia, Les Mis, Chicago and others), Starmites and The Drowsy Chaperone.
- I teach electric bass lessons.
Phil Glennie – 2018
Emm Gryner – Only of Earth – 2018
The LYNNeS (Lynne Hanson Lynn Miles) – Heartbreak Song for the Radio – 2018
Rant Maggie Rant – Latitude – 2016
Stringbone – 2016
Jocelynn Rasmussen – Singing is Praying Twice
The Willows – Demo
Renee Card – 2016
Aaron Allen – 2015
Leah Morise – 2015
Rant Maggie Rant – The Green Album Live at Hugh’s Room- 2013
Marty Kolls – 2013
Beyond Our Shores – Light of East Ensemble – 2009
Road To Freedom – Karen Schuessler Singers – 2009
Sharon Beeler – In a Slow Groove – 2008
Simply Joy – Believe in a Better World – 2008
Leah Morise – 2006