I started playing bass when a high school friend said he needed a bass player. Soon after I was in my first gigging band Section Eight and being snuck into bars since I was underage. We actually did quite well culminating in a show presented at the El Mocambo by CFNY FM. Kevan and Gary from that band went on to play in a Juno nominated band King Cobb Steelie while I went to Humber College to study jazz performance. I would love to have been part of a band like KCS but Humber played a huge part in making me the musician I am today. I certainly couldn’t do some of the gigs I do without the Humber background.
After graduating from Humber I started a career at Young Drivers of Canada. I ran a Young Drivers’ franchise for 20 years, selling the business in December 2010. I did not play bass during the early years as a YD franchise owner but in the mid 2000s I picked up the basses again. You can see a list of who I’ve played with on the Friends page.
Just the Facts!
- I’m a graduate of the Humber College Jazz Program.
- I can read, have a decent ear, great time and feel.
- I do my homework.
- A reliable car. Safe driver.
- I have a US and Canadian Passport!
- I don’t have a day job so can be anywhere, anytime.
- I play double bass and electric basses.
- I use reliable and great sounding basses and amplifiers.
- I’ve played intimate club shows, large festivals, national live radio shows, theatre pit bands, jazz ensembles and with singer songwriters.
- Theatre Shows: Fun Home, Mamma Mia, Joni Mitchell – River, Cabaret, Legally Blonde, Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz, Bat Boy, Starmites, The Drowsy Chaperone.
- Happy to play whole notes or 16th notes as needed.
- Darren Powers – False Bravado 2020
- My Singing Monsters/Big Blue Bubble 2019
- Phil Glennie – 2018
- Emm Gryner – Only of Earth – 2018
- The LYNNeS (Lynne Hanson Lynn Miles) – Heartbreak Song for the Radio – 2018
- Rant Maggie Rant – Latitude – 2016
- Stringbone – 2016
- Jocelynn Rasmussen – Singing is Praying Twice
- The Willows – Demo
- Renee Card – 2016
- Aaron Allen – 2015
- Leah Morise – 2015
- Rant Maggie Rant – The Green Album Live at Hugh’s Room- 2013
- Marty Kolls – 2013
- Beyond Our Shores – Light of East Ensemble – 2009
- Road To Freedom – Karen Schuessler Singers – 2009
- Sharon Beeler – In a Slow Groove – 2008
- Simply Joy – Believe in a Better World – 2008
- Leah Morise – 2006
The highlight of 2017 was playing a tune on Emm Gryner‘s record as well as playing on The LYNNeS record. I’ve worked with Lynne Hansonbut it was first time I had met and played with Lynn Miles. It was also the first time in a long time that I’ve recorded directly to tape at Dave Draves studio in Ottawa. I’m happy with how the record sounds. I have a copy of the record on vinyl too. That’s a first for me.
In 2018, the LYNNeS record was nominated in 5 Canadian Folk Music Award categories. The only other artist with that many nominations is Buffy Saint Marie. Miles and Hanson tour mostly as duo but occasionally they add drums and bass.
In 2019 you can find me playing bass with Deni Gauthier, Rant Maggie Rant, 5PGB and the Paul Aitken Trio. I recently left my Long & McQuade bass lessons position but am available for lessons at my home in London for interested and motivated bass players.